Sleep Apnea is a sleep disorder that occurs when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep resulting in decreased oxygen going to the brain and the rest of the body that can have longterm effects on one’s health. It can affect anyone at any age, but there are some common risk factors.
What Are the Risk Factors of Sleep Apnea?
- Being overweight
- Male Gender
- Over the age of 40
- Having large tonsils or tongue
- Having a family history of sleep apnea
- Nasal obstruction due to a deviated septum, allergies, or sinus problems
What Are the Long-Term Effects of Sleep Apnea?
- High blood pressure
- Heart failure or heart attack
- Worsening of ADHD
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
- Lifestyle changes
- Mouthpieces prescribed by your physician and constructed by your dentist
- Breathing devices
Many of the dentists at Racine Dental Group offer sleep apnea oral appliances to treat patients unable to wear C-PAP units. Mandibule advancement therapy by use of positioning appliances is very effective in treating snoring and moderate sleep disorders. Most medical insurances will cover benefits upon a referral for a physician’s office.